Aircraft mechanical systems in engines, air conditioning, fluid controls and actuation require Mersen's carbon and graphite components.
Carbon and Graphite Components for High Temperature Mechanical Applications
Mersen has developed a comprehensive range of mechanical and friction components manufactured using its carbon, composite and graphite materials.
- Carbon and graphite bearings, seals and vanes (guiding and sealing purposes in pumps and valves)
- Dynamic sealing (seal systems for rotary shaft of fans, extractors, turbo-compressors, driers, water turbines)
In mechanical and friction applications, carbonaceous materials are superior to others and reduce costs by eliminating the need for lubrication.
- At a high temperature: their thermal stability and self-lubricating properties make them ideally suited for use at temperatures above 150 °C, in applications unsuitable for standard lubricants.
- When lubricants are prohibited: certain processes prohibit the use of lubricants: Food preparation, pharmaceutical, and textile applications
- In corrosive environments: the chemical inertia and corrosion resistance of these components allow their use in the most demanding environments.
- When access to moving parts is difficult: in cases where maintenance and lubrication of inaccessible elements is problematic, choosing a solution with carbon or graphite components overcomes these constraints.
- When weight is critical: the density of carbon or graphite components ranges between 1.5 and 2.5 g/cc, much lower than metals.
Mechanical components for pumps and valves
Durham Lane Industrial Park
T: +44 1642 790 100